Pensioner Who Didn’t Like Sound Of Patient’s Ventilator ‘Switched It Off Twice’.


In Germany, a 72-year-old lady was detained in a hospital after it was claimed that she twice turned off a patient’s ventilator because she didn’t like the noise it made.

The woman was “highly suspected,” according to a joint statement from the police and public prosecutor’s office in Mannheim, of turning off the ventilator of a 79-year-old patient.

On Tuesday, November 29, at around 8 o’clock, the claimed event allegedly took place. The elderly is believed to have intervened because she was “feeling troubled by the noise” from the ventilator.

Hospital workers had to run over and turn on the patient’s ventilator after she allegedly turned off the machine, which they were depending on for breath.

They made it clear to the woman that she shouldn’t be turning off another patient’s device because the patient was dependent on the oxygen supply it provided.

But based on what is alleged to have transpired next, it is assumed that the woman disregarded the grave warning issued to her by hospital staff.

A second claimed occurrence involving the woman turning the machine off once more is said to have happened about an hour later.

The 79-year-old is in intensive care but is now said to be “out of danger” after hospital officials had to perform resuscitation on him.

The woman was detained on suspicion of attempted manslaughter and is now facing serious charges when it appeared that she turned off another patient’s life-support system twice.

The 72-year-old pensioner was brought before a judge the next day (30 November), after which she was taken to jail ahead of a potential trial.

Investigations into the matter to determine exactly what happened and what crimes the pensioner might have committed are ongoing.

If found guilty of attempted manslaughter the 72-year-old could spend several years behind bars.

While authorities believe the 72-year-reason old’s for the alleged incident was because the ventilator’s loudness bothered her, further investigation may reveal other details that could shed more light on the situation.

It is a highly severe decision to cut off a patient’s life support, and there is no guarantee that the patient would recover miraculously after the procedure like the “miracle man” did.

T. Scott Marr, 61, was rushed to the hospital in that case because he was unresponsive but still breathing and because doctors thought he might have had a stroke.

What he’d actually had was Posterior Reversible Encephalopathy Syndrome, a condition likely caused by high blood pressure, and when they switched off his life support machine he actually continued to recover.